Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Thank Goodness it's Over, Or is It?

Since my last blog thing keep going wrong.  On Saturday - my baking day - we had two power cuts. The first during the night, apparently one of the small electric sub-stations had blown up or something.  Thousands still without electricity, but expected to be on again by 10.00am.  Came back on at 9.00am.  So began baking.  The power then went off again for quite a while, so I was very fed up, cakes ruined.

Added to that I'd been feeling more and more grotty.  Weakness, breathlessness, dizziness.  Realised after a few days that almost certainly I was anaemic again, and luckily had one iron pill left, after taking that, a few hours later felt a bit better, but as it was the weekend, couldn't get more pills until Monday, so went downhill again.   Asked B to get me some Vit.B12 pills as well, and am feeling a lot better now, but not quite back to normal.

Made three huge quiches for the Harvest Supper held at the Spiritualist Church on Monday evening, B was to take them there some time after 3.00pm, but he told me he would be helping out his upholstery mate until 4.00pm so he came home collected the quiches and took them to the church.  He phoned me to say the church was locked, no-one there.  I phoned the organiser - she WAS there, the doors were unlocked, and she said she'd go outside to find my husband's car.
Phoning B back to tell him, discovered he'd gone to the wrong church!!!  Why was I not surprised?  He'd taken them to the Foodbank (held in a Methodist Chapel).  Anyway, all sorted and they got delivered. 

We had another electricity cut last night, just as I sat down to write my blog, so went to bed instead of waiting to see when it came on again. 
B is working again this morning, and as I was to make a cake to take to the Sp. church this afternoon (for their coffee morning tomorrow), went to switch the oven on.  The timer was flashing, not re-set after the leccy cut (B always resets it for me as I don't know how to do it), so the oven wouldn't then work.  Eventually I managed to get it working and the cake has been made.

This morning, when sitting down to write my blog, the computer took AGES to sort itself out - again due to the leccy cuts.  But seems OK now.  Phew.  Don't want any more problems thank you.

Quite a few comments to reply to, so here goes....
Yes Jane, I do remember that 'sausage wrap' but can't quite remember how to do it.  I'll look up the method (it's in one of my books, might be in Goode For One), and will then let you know.

It's amazing how much more expensive chicken joints are compared to the same (by weight) from a whole chicken that has been jointed at home.  So, buttercup, whenever you see fresh chickens on offer (sometimes 3 for £10...) worth buying them, jointing them up (wrap/freeze separately or they tend to stick together) and use the carcases for making stock. 
The winglets I tend to collect in one bag as these make excellent stock without the need for a carcase, so useful in the future when (horrors!) I've run out of chicken stock. I NEVER want to run out of that.

Think my favourite patchwork pattern was the log cabin, as this used strips of material, and not sure what the 'whirlygig' looks like.  jAnother favourite of mine is 'Cathedral Window', this mainly plain material folded (so no backing needed), and small pieces of coloured material sewn into spaces that have been formed.  I really looks very pretty, and a great way to use up old (plain) sheets and very small pieces of material.

Well remember that huge sea surge in 1953 Sairy.  This was due to exceptional high tides and gales blowing the sea onto the land.  We have a large book written about it, and in Blakeney there is a marker on the wall to show how high up the sea came.  Good to hear about the parade in honour of those American servicemen who helped with the rescues.

A welcome to Christine K, who is asking about the size of 'dripping tins'.  In the old days, when huge joints of beef were turned on a spit, there would be a large tray set on the ground below to catch all the melted fat (aka dripping) and the meat juices.   Today we roast the (smaller) joints in the oven and choose a roasting tin that is the right size.  Best to roast the meat on a grid that sits on the base of the pan, then it doesn't sit in the drippings, but it doesn't really matter. 
My mother used to roast her joint on a rack and about 45 minutes before the meat was ready, would pour off most of the fat, and replace the tin/meat in the oven, pouring Yorkshire pudding batter into the tin below the meat.  Any meat juices that dripped would then go into the Yorkie and make it taste lovely.
Today we normally make Yorkshire's separately, and there are special four-section tins for this purpose, but often I use a shallow sponge cake tin to make a larger one, especially when serving with a beef casserole as the meat/gravy can then be spooned inside.
For Toad in the Hole, I would use a fairly shallow 8"/20cm square tin, but the size really depends on how many people you wish to serve.  Part cook the sausages in the tin, pour of some of the fat before pouring the batter over but ALWAYS make sure the fat is very hot before doing that, otherwise the batter ends up with a soggy bottom.

Thanks Eileen for your memories.  Vaguely remember Cremola Foam, at least the name, don't think I've ever had any. 

Thanks also to londonlass to whom we give a welcome.  Think tripe was traditionally a Yorkshire meal, as well remember 'tripe and onions' being mentioned when we lived in Leeds.  In Leeds market there is a stall that sells only tripe, and believe there are four different types (tripe coming from a cow's stomach, that has four 'compartments'.

Think that today the only way we can be sure of buying skirt beef is from a local butcher, and then probably has to be ordered.  My butcher in Leeds told me that it is their favourite cut of beef, so the butchers themselves tend to take it home to cook/eat, and this is why it isn't on sale very often.

As to junket.  My mother made it often and how I hated it.  Every time my spoon went into it, it split up into curds and whey.  She didn't seem to flavour it, although maybe did add a bit of sugar, I can't remember, but have never eaten it since, although have used the same process to make soft cheese (after breaking it up and draining it).

Interesting that you like Pear's soap Margie.  My mother used to think it was wonderful, but it was too hard for me (didn't soften when it water), don't think it made too many bubbles either. Supposed to be good for the skin, and am pleased (for your sake) that you have been able to find a source. Myself tend to use Johnson's Baby Soap, not for any particular reason, just like the smell.  I use their baby talc too.  Perhaps brings back memories of having babies of my own.

The weather has really turned.  So cold now compared to a few days ago, and half a gale at the weekend that has brought down a lot of leaves.  B is asking if we can have the central heating on for a bit during the evening.  Not sure whether he'll get any benefit as he tends to spend most of each evening in this room watching 'his' TV (and no heating in this room - other than a gas fire that has not yet been used).
Tonight he'll definitely be in here as there is a footie match on.  Was going to make him some Fork Biscuits to snack on, but didn't as I was cross with him for not re-setting the oven before he left this morning (I hadn't then been in the kitchen). He obviously knew it had to be done, you couldn't miss the light flashing on and off to remind that it wasn't working.  He always HAS done it without being asked, but the day I need the oven he ignored it.  Men!!

Anyway, that's it for today.   Sorry no time to give recipes - am at the church this afternoon, then preparing B's supper, then settling down for the night and planning an early night.  With B in here no opportunity to use the comp (he doesn't like me using it when he is watching TV).

If feeling back to normal, will be writing again tomorrow.  If not may take the day off.  Expect me when you see me.  TTFN.