Saturday, January 20, 2007

Lateral Thinking

Yesterday got as far as making an apple and blackberry crumble. It smelled so good that I couldn't bear to taint the kitchen with an aroma of fish, so sent my husband off to the local chippy to buy fish and chips. Yes, I know, you didn't expect I would do that. Neither did I, but I was desperate for a treat. This meant, not only have I now to take off the cost (just under £10) from my budget, I now have given myself the extra challenge of having to manage of less money than I had planned for. So worth it just for that. Those of you who know how I feel about challenges will understand.

Passion Cake:
4 oz (110g) sugar
4 oz (110g) margarine
2 eggs
1 dessp. black treacle
6 oz (175g) self-raising flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
6 oz (175g) carrots, finely grated
2 oz (50g) walnuts, chopped
Beat the sugar and marg. together and add the eggs and the treacle. Sift the flour with the baking powder and cinnamon and stir into the mixture. Fold in the carrots and nuts. Pour into a greased and floured loaf tin and bake for one hour at 180C, 350F, gas 4 or until cooked (it will rise, be firm on top and shrink slightly away from the sides).
Traditionally the top is spread with cream cheese mixed with a little icing sugar and a bit of softened butter. Omit the topping if you wish.

Muesli Bars: makes 16
8 oz (225g) margarine
8oz ( 225g) gran. or demerara sugar
2 tblsp. golden syrup
6 oz (175g) muesli, any type
4 oz (100g) porridge oats
Melt the margarine with the sugar and syrup, then stir in the muesli and oats. After mixing well tip into a greased roasting tin 12" x 9" and press flat. Bake for 30 minutes at 160C, 325F, gas 3. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then mark into bars and leave to cool before removing with a fish slice. DO NOT OVERCOOK or they will be too hard to eat.
Tip: To press sticky mixtures (such as the above and flapjacks) use half a cut lemon. After using, just wash the lemon and it can be used for something else.