Monday, December 18, 2006

Experience is the best Teacher

Below this posting you will find the two lists of foods that were delivered last Saturday. The amount is slightly less than first thought as some would be eaten before New Year. As this conveniently starts on a Monday, further fresh fruit and vegetables will be delivered early that week, plus a few other necessaries (porridge oats and so on) with a trip to the butcher on the Wednesday to buy in bulk and freeze.

So many things not listed (chopped tomatoes, jellies, tuna, sugars, flours, lard, ketchup and other sauces, cocoa, tea, coffee, dried milk, dried beans, peas, lentils, pearl barley, nuts, dried herbs and spices etc.etc.etc.) I have already in my cupboard so it doesn't make sense to buy them all over again. When it comes to using them I then play the shopkeeper role and 'sell them to myself' . These will all be costed and details given to you.

Tip: Remember that not everything bought may be used up. Some could be left over, and probably will be. The 'left-overs' will be costed and the amount deducted from the final total.

Someone, somewhere is going to say - 'Ah, but you haven't mentioned bread'. Well, this I will be making myself (and will be costed), and, by making a slightly smaller loaf can then use the spare dough to make a pizza base and/or breadsticks AS WELL! I'm not just a pretty face you know. Well, not even that if truth be known.

Tip: My 'freebies' will be home-grown fresh herbs. Some I have had for years, others (basil and mint) rooted from cuttings taken from supermarket herbs. Not essential, but fresh herbs can turn a bland dish into something really tasty. The herbs I now keep in pots in the porch and on the kitchen window ledge are: sage, rosemary, thyme, and chives, all seem to keep growing year round, even the basil and mint (regularly cut back) are still thriving. I forgot to water the marjoram, but there are plenty of dried leaves on the plant and hopefully it will sprout again next spring.