Monday, January 13, 2014

Improving the Situation

Am a very happy bunny today, not only have I lost nearly a stone since Christmas, my Beloved told me yesterday that he will be helping a sailing buddy every day this week (in his upholstery shop). So I'll have five free days(almost)  to myself. Yippee! 
As I intend to make the most of it, maybe even starting an early spring-clean, I'll be away from the comp by 10.00 each morning - at least that's my intention.  But you know me, once I begin to chat I can't stop.

Thanks Margie for you comment.  Seems you have had a sudden rise in temperature after all that cold, and such a difference I bet even 9C seems warm!
No fall in water levels in this country despite having had a lovely dry weekend.  But more rain is forecast.  We are getting an occasional frost (-1C) at night in some areas, but other than that, not the cold winters we used to have when I was younger.

They say it is 'global warming' that is causing such extreme weather conditions, but in Victorian times the Thames froze over for several winters, the ice being so thick that fairs were held on it, people enjoying the fun.  In 'Agricultural Records' (a book about weather conditions over many, many centuries) we've had a lot worse weather than we experience now, and it is true what the meteorologists say, it is what regularly happens, it's just that with long gaps between the worst weather, people aren't alive to remember them.

Thanks also Margie for your recipe for cream cheese/walnuts etc, it sounds really lovely and I'll be giving it a go next time I eat toast (am off carbos at the moment).

When I was diagnosed with diabetes simplyvintage, I was given a blood glucose monitor.  You shouldn't have needed to buy one.  I don't use it now because I was never sure of the best time to take the b/g level.  What I do know is it isn't how high the b/g level is when taken just after eating as it will always rise, it is how quickly it takes to recede back down again (takes about an hour).
As everyone is different, we should always follow the advice given by the diabetic nurse, and see if it works. 
It does seem, in many cases, if 'obese' (I hate that word), diabetics can be controlled just by losing weight.  This worked with me, although I have had to avoid carbos to do this (but getting the approval from my doctor before I did). 

A few more 'toasties' recipes today. Originally intended to be used as a filling in a sandwich toaster, we can make these using toaster bags or just toasting (both sides) under a grill in the normal way, or possibly in a frying pan - using flour tortillas instead of bread - making 'quesadillas'.

First recipe is one best cooked in a frying pan (for obvious reason) and would be popular with both adults and children I would expect. Use the apple sauce for the younger ones, and chutney for adults. 
Peanut and Apple Toasties: makes 2 rounds
2 tblsp peanut butter
2 tblsp apple sauce (or chutney)
salt and pepper to taste
1 large egg, beaten
4 slices bread, buttered on one side
Blend the peanut butter and apple (or chutney) together to make a smooth paste.  Season the egg and dip 2 slices of bread in it. Place these, buttered side down in a medium hot frying pan , placing 1 tblsp of the peanut mixture onto each piece.  Dip the remaining bread in the rest of the egg and place on top (buttered side up).  Toast for 3 - 4 minutes on each side.

Final recipe today is for a 'dessert' toasted sarnie, and a good way to use up an over-ripe banana.
Banana and Date Toasties: makes 2
1 large banana
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tblsp sugar
4 slices bread, buttered on one side
8 dried dates, stoned and chopped
Mash the banana with a fork and mix in the lemon juice, sugar and dates.  Spread this on the unbuttered side of two slices of bread, covering with the remaining bread, buttered side up.  Toast for 2 minutes one each side and serve with whipped cream or ice-cream.

A shorter blog today as am having probs with the computer. Steve sorted out the main problem for me, but now I'm left with a much magnified screen and when I type my blog can only see half the line I've written, and it's unnerving me.  Hope it will be sorted by tomorrow, but even if not, expect me back anyway.  My hair appt. has now been changed to Fridays, so no reason for me not to be back each day this week (except Friday and Sunday). Not sure about next week as I'll have quite a bit of preparing to do for Burns Night, but that's in the future.  Hope you can join me tomorrow - if so, see you then.