Monday, April 02, 2007

Still up and runniung.

One (or two) of you mentioned slicing machines. I do slice cooked chicken by hand, usually buying the largest chicken I can get. First I roast it, leave it to get cold then chill in the fridge overnight before slicing. But when it comes to home-cooked hams (gammon), even the small joints, the slicer is MOST useful. Also for slicing boneless beef (topside etc). When buying a leg of lamb I ask the hutcher to bone it, but then put the bone back in, as meat cooked with the bone has a much better flavour than without. When cooked I remove the bone, tightly roll up the lamb and then slice it when cold.
Cold lamb does not seem appetising but I pack it with a little mint sauce or mint jelly between the slices, the flavour penetrating the meat, and this way it is really good.
A turkey roll or the large boneless breasts (usually around at Xmas), once cooked, also slices well using the slicing machine.
The advantage with the machine s that you can get really thin slices which makes the joints of meat go so very much further. Any scraps that get ripped off are gathered up and made into a meat paste to spread on toast (just blend with a bit of softened butter, some pepper and maybe a grind of nutmeg for beef, mint with lamb, cranberry sauce with chicken, or mustard with beef or chicken).

Slicing machines are also good for cutting thinner slices of home-made bread than normally would be sliced by hand. I know I can get at least 20 slices of toasting thickness from a granary loaf and they are all even - just like the bought bread.

Am still not in the mood for food. How bad is that? My leg is most painful, and I can't seem to get my head around things but here is a good recipe that I know works (but boo hoo I am unable to eat it now) that you might find worth trying - it really is simple but impressive. It's not even Greek, but the yoghurt is.

Greek Lemon Sponge Roulade: (F)
equal quatities of Greek Yoghurt and Lemon Curd (pref homemade)
slab of fatless sponge cake
Fold the yogurt and lemon curd together, completely, or aim to make a ripple pattern.
Put this into a cylinder (suggest a clean baked bean tin with base and top removed, and lined with clingfilm. Freeze.
When frozen, push out the ice-cream and lay it on the sponge cake, roll up untl completely covered by cake. trim off rest of the cake (keep for trifles). Wrap in clingfilm and return to freezer. Serve in slices.
Tip: This can be served without the cake just as ice-cream, in which case thoroughly mix the yoghurt and curd together before freezing.