Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Start the day well

This morning, my husband left early, which gave me the chance to experiment with a recipe I had discovered yesterday. It is fantastic! I have eaten the end product for my breakfast, leaving two to eat cold later.
What I was aiming to do was find a use for all that rice flour I had bought so I substituted this instead of the cornmeal as given in a gluten free recipe. Also substituted yogurt instead of creme fraiche. Best of all, with a little bit of juggling I managed to balance the ingredients so that the amounts are easy to remember.
Sweetcorn Pancakes - makes five
1 egg,
1 rounded tblsp. Greek Yogurt
1 rounded tblsp. rice flour
100g. canned and drained sweet corn
1 tbslp oil (but don't increase this when making more).
First put a dry frying pan over a medium heat whilst you prepare the pancake batter.
In a small bowl, beat together the egg and the yogurt. Stir in the rice flour making sure there are no lumps. Finally fold in the sweet corn.
Put the oil in the pan, let it heat for a minute then spoon in tablespoons of the pancake mixture.
When they are golden underneath (about 3 minutes) then turn and cook for a further minute. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Tip: Even though these are made with healthy ingredients, as long as you don't mention the dreaded phrase, children will love them, especially with a dollop of tomato ketchup on top (also proving to be good for you). Adults may prefer to season with pepper before or after cooking.