Friday, October 13, 2006

Always worth a try

To puzzled readers - my daily posting is done through a blog site that seems to originate in the USA as their time is behind ours. If I put up a post before 7am then this is dated the previous day. My grandson managed to get the site re-routed through my own domain name - www.shirleygoode.com. Anyone interested in starting their own blog site will find the one I use for my postings : www.blogger.com , very easy to understand. And it's free.
Now it's getting on for 8.00am so time for today's posting.
Yesterday I noticed one lemon in a net containing several that I had bought, had a nasty blue bloom over it. So I opened the net and was just about to throw the lemon into the bin when I recalled an old tip that I had heard about: to clean a microwave - cut a lemon into quarters, put into a bowl, cover with water and put into the microwave on full heat for about five minutes. This I did, using a shallow plastic dish and the grotty lemon, and hey presto, after removing the turntable, all I had to do was wipe the inside and door down with a damp sponge and it was instantly clean. Believe me, it wasn't before. So that WORKED.
Then, I was just about to throw the net into the bin when I recalled another tip: gather all the nets that cover food, push them tightly all into one net and use as a scouring pad. With various produce delivered with nets covering them, I followed directions and managed to clean out a non-stick pan that had burnt food sticking on it.
Another enjoyment was my supper. Although I love cooking for anyone else, I just can't feel the enthusiasm when I am the only one eating. So my meals need to be very speedy, easy to prepare, but tasty. Two days ago I sliced some mushrooms, did the same with some slices of chorizo sausage, fried these in a little oil, tipped in a drained can of black-eyed beans and finally stirred in some pasta penne which had been boiling alongside the frying pan. I use quick-cook pasta which takes all of four minutes. The whole meal only took five minutes from start to finish. I enjoyed it so much, I did the same again yesterday adding a sliced onion to the last of the mushrooms and chorizo, and this time adding butter beans. It seems such an easy way to use up bits and bobs. I enjoy the chorizo, but this could easily have been sliced cooked sausage, or chunks of corned beef or even Spam (yes, I do like Spam). Possibly this is my variation of Succotash which is similar in some ways, but different to mine. Next time I might omit the pasta and pour over a couple of beaten eggs. There is always a way to make things different.