Friday, September 08, 2006

Storecupboard rules OK

How much does it cost to feed one person per week? We all have our own ideas, but just for test purposes say £15 per week - which is round about £2 per day. I had a go at looking at the wider picture. Over four weeks that would work out to £60, and to feed two (as in my case) - £120.
This is the challenge I set myself. To keep within that amount of money - and spend around £80 from the supermarket (in one go). £30 from the butcher, and the rest on the dairy products delivered by the milkman.
Unbelieveably, the supermarket food lasted NINE weeks, and I used only half the meat. Some of the dairy foods I could cancel (more on this later), and over the two months our daily expenditure worked out almost in pennies.
Over the next week or so I will explain the secrets behind how it works. Please keep logging on and try it yourself.